Re: orion-list 2Macc's "Daphne near Antioch"

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

Dear Russel,
Thanks for your brilliant reference to the citation of Diodorus' Historical
Library in the Anchor Bible. Unfortunately the citation is missed in the
Diodorus sections of the Perseus Project (Tufts University). Therefore I ask
for the exact passage to verify the information. Would you do me the favor?
N.B. The Anchor Bible is not present in our University Library.

In the meantime I'll try to come to a bird's-eye view of the "diplomatic"
keyrole of Tyre during the events (N.B. on the same latitude as Daphne near
Antioch in the Semechonitis; cf. Naval Warfare/Erastosthenes) and the
possibility of later using or easy rebuilding of fortified camps (of Greek
"cut and paste" not Roman "plug and play" technique) temporarily used by the
Ptolemaic army on their way through the southern Damascene to their siege of
Sidon in 200 BC.

Shalom
Dierk

Dr. rer. nat. Dierk van den Berg