Re: orion Where....& "bottle"?

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

Dear Jack,
	If, for conversation's sake, we would accept your reading of the
disputed last four letters of line 8 in the ostracon, questions would still
remain. Would the word you translate as "bottle" be spelled, in Herodian
times, with a yod rather than, or in addition to, an aleph? Isn't the word
a reference to a leather sack or bottle, such as a wine-skin, or skin for
milk or water? Is the word used for a glass bottle? Would you think balsam
was kept in leather containers? Do you know of texts which parallel your
suggestion?
sincerely,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu