Re:orion dss and rabbis

Dear Thomas L Thompson,
	With all due respect, it is not a "blind guess" to hypothesize that
4QpNah was written by an Essene, or that it refers to Pharisees, or that it
refers to a crucifixion dating during the rule of Alexander Jannaeus.
	I admit to being less persuaded than some that Karl Popper has the
best approach toward historical research. And, I concede that  experience
generally is mediated, and that not autograph texts, nor my current sight
and vision escape hermeneutic philosophical issues. But reasonable people
can discuss plausible reconstructions of history.
	Ferdinand Rohrhirsch in Wissenschaftstheorie und Qumran (Freiburg,
1996) is less hesitant in finding adequately-framed hypotheses in Qumran
research available for analysis than you or Fred Cryer appear to be. But I
could be wrong. The book by Rohrhirsch, whatever one makes of its many
positions, has the virtue of making coherent arguments and including a
wealth of information and bibliographic references. And, as I say, I am not
a proponent of Popper for history. I read others' approachs, but Popper is
not really my interest. (Even so, when invited, I submitted  a favorable
review of Rohrhirsch's book to Religious Studies Review.)  My approach in
this exchange you may find unsophisticated. Fred Cryer said my assertions
concerning 4QpNah were false.  All I asked was to show me. With or without
the baggage of Popper. This neither you nor he has done.  I, like most who
have published on this text, consider the lion to be a reference to
Alexander Jannaeus. Several aspects of the historical references in 4QpNah
are supported by attestations elsewhere. This may not amount to absolute
certainty, but, I do suggest to you, that it does not deserve scorn.
	With or without Popper, hypotheses have been examined, and in cases
dismissed as false. For example, the hypothesis that the Qumran mss were
medieval Karaite texts is now generally recognized as false.
	I am content to let the late Karl Popper rest. I only ask of you
that if you think a particular, supported, historical proposal is mistaken,
and wish to write that on orion, please show, with information and
argument, how the proposal is not plausible, rather than belittle it as a
"blind guess."
	Thank you.
Stephen Goranson      goranson@duke.edu