orion Isaiah scroll

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

  Rolf Furuli of Oslo replied:
  >>Looking at the photograph of the scroll in my library, it seems to me
that
a second hand changed the ayin into an aleph.<<

   Give the man a cigar! Rolf is correct: mem aleph mem. The ayin was
changed.
   A Hebrew reading Irish priest might now knock himself in the head, utter
a heartfelt "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" and unknowingly be right on two
counts.
   John Trevor, who took the first photos of Isaiah, was very surprised to
see it as well.
  "I believe that is what it should be," he told me. And when asked why
this passage was mistranslated into Hebrew in his own volume,  he said,
"That's a good question, and I don t have an answer."
  There was at least a second hand on this scroll, and likely not the same
hand as the one attempting Chinese that Dr. Mair and others since have
confirmed.  There is evidence of still other hands on this scroll that
cannot have gone unnoticed by people of better training and intellect than
I.  With some prodding they may wade into this discussion. Probably, they
will not, and we shall have our talk in this crowded, virtual hall almost
alone, our voices echoing from Jerusalem to Oslo, Boston, Philly, LA and
Vancouver. H-e-l-l-o ...

  >> Do you on the basis of this and of the other things you mention
ascribe a younger age to the scroll than most others do?<<

   Here I am supposed to throw more wood onto the pile that surrounds me,
sprinkle it with gasoline and light the match ...
   As to the age of the scroll and script, that is debatable.  (One piece
of wood)
   While I might not be inclined to war over the period of the origination
and usage of Herodian script at this time, I think the script used in THIS
scroll raises many questions.  Mair raises more, not necessarily about when
and by whom this scroll was originally written, but as to when it was
handled by others with a knowledge that does not fit into the BCE period.
   I've made notations in old books and returned them to a library where
they will live for years to come. I've highlighted documents in neon tones
that can be dated. I have found marginal peace signs from the 70s that can
be dated.  If I found a Time magazine photo of a B-1 bomber in a 1905 book
that had supposedly lain in a tomb since 1910, I think I would doubt it was
buried then.

  >Are there any articles discussing your information?>
  Yes, by Neil Altman. I don't have a list handy, but I'm getting one
together. Mostly newspaper pieces. These views don't make it into journals
much nowadays. But long before Mair and Australia's Dr. Donald (?) Leslie
and a few others confirmed the Chinese, the likes of Solomon Zeitlin and
G.R. Driver raised some serious questions about Isaiah. Dust 'em off and
they're as good as new.

  David Crowder
  El Paso
  (Where John Wesley Hardin remains buried)