Re: orion-list Re: self-definition

    Stephen Goranson, as is his habit, has failed to respond to any of the
substantive issues I raised in my recent post, studiously avoiding commenting
on the Samaritan references to Essenes as "Hasidim" or on the Hasidim as
successors to the "volunteers for the law" at 1 Macc. 2:42.
    Stephen takes issue my referring to the phrase "doers of the law" as a
commonplace.  It is a common phrase in the Hebrew Bible, a fact of which
Stephen is surely aware.  My exact quote, in context, read as follows:

>  In my opinion, Stephen has never satisfactorily demonstrated that
>  the common phrase "doers of the law" was a true designation
>  of the scrolls sect as opposed to a mere stock description of the sect
>  using Biblical language on a par with "righteous", "faithful" etc.,
>  terminology all scarcely the monopoly of any one single Jewish sect.

    I stand by the above statement.

    Russell Gmirkin
For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com