orion updated info letter

Orion group,

I am sending out the updated info letter. Please note the additions of #10
and #11 under Directions for Posting. I recommend that you save this
letter for future reference.

Avital Pinnick, Ph.D.                                   tel: 972-2-588-2063
list moderator/bibligrapher                             fax: 972-2-588-3584
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls

ORION CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS

HEBREW UNIVERSITY OF JERUSALEM

Welcome to the Orion e-mail discussion group. This list is sponsored by
the Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls and is supported by
The Orion Fund Limited. The Director of the Center is Prof. Michael E.
Stone and the Associate Director is Dr. Esther Glickler Chazon.

This list is devoted to the scholarly discussion of the Dead Sea Scrolls
and related literature, including Jewish Literature and History of the
Second Temple period and Archaeology. Since January 1996, it has been
moderated by me, Avital Pinnick; if there are any questions or problems
which you wish to raise privately, please contact me at
msorion@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il. (Note that the general e-mail address of
the Orion Center is msdss@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il).

Dr. Avital Pinnick
List Moderator
Orion Center

**********

Directions for posting:

1. To post to the entire list, address your message to
orion@panda.mscc.huji.ac.il. If you are posting privately to an
individual, please ensure that you are not sending to the Orion list
simultaneously.  Check the address header carefully.

PLEASE NOTE: As of Sept. 1997, the list is configured so that the "Reply
to"  address points to the Orion list. If you wish to reply to an
individual privately, you must type in the address.

2. Please stay on topic. This list is for the academic discussion of ideas
and information relating to the Dead Sea Scrolls, although interested
laypersons are certainly welcome to participate and to raise questions.

3. Please adopt a courteous tone of discourse.

4. Try to consolidate your messages.

5. Avoid "me, too" postings. If you wish to thank someone or merely to
second an opinion, it would be best to do so via private e-mail.

6. Please sign your postings with your name, not a screen name.
Geographical
information and institutional affiliation are highly recommended.

7. Edit quoted messages. If you are quoting a previous message, please use
only the relevant sections, rather than quoting the entire message.

8. Use precise subject headings. If the thread meanders onto another
topic, then by all means change the subject heading to reflect the topic.
If you are addressing several topics in a single subject heading, they may
be included as a multiple heading (e. g. "4QMMT; Teacher of Righteousness;
Apocalyptic").

9. Be brief. Please try not to exceed 4K. To stay within this limit you
should quote only what is absolutely relevant.

10. Do not post messages on behalf of someone who is not subscribed unless
you have the permission of the original writer AND the permission of the
moderator. Public messages such as announcements of conferences, lectures,
etc., may be posted on the Orion list. If you want to post a notice on our
web site, send the details to msorion@mscc.huji.ac.il. Remember to include
relevant dates, addresses and phone numbers (calls for papers and job
openings should indicate a closing date).

11. Do not post copyrighted material (e.g., newspaper articles, articles
posted on web sites) unless you own the copyright or have the copyright
owner's permission to do so. Please include a note stating that permission
has been granted, as well as proper acknowledgements. If the material
exceeds 4K, consult with the moderator first. It is permitted to quote
small sections of an article in the course of a discussion as this
constitutes "fair use." Posting URLs for web sites is permitted.

receiving two sets of messages.**

***********

ARCHIVES:

Past discussions on Orion are available as downloadable text files at an
FTP site.

Using your communications software or server, connect to:
ftp unixware.mscc.huji.ac.il

username: anonymous <enter>
[password request]: <enter>
cd orion_ftp <enter>
cd archive <enter>

To view file list, type "dir" or "ls" Files are named by year.month.day
(e.g.  Oct. 26, 1996 = 96.10.26) To retrieve files, use "get" <filename>
or "mget" <*.*> The files tend to be around 60-70k in size. To exit: quit.

Archives may be viewed at http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il on your browser.

Orion Center Web Page and Bibliography

Our web page describes the activities and facilities of the Orion Center
and contains a bibliography on Dead Sea Scrolls which is updated weekly.

http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il