Re: orion Etymology of "Essenes"

At 09:05 AM 4/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

>4) Why is it, again, that we must dissociate Essenes from Qumran?

I am no Fred Cryer (would that God would give me a portion of his spirit, to
quite Elisha).  Nevertheless the answer to this question is simple.  Because
there is really nothing to link the two.

However, I must add that Garcia-Martinez's 'via media' is very appealing to
me (but thats just because I am of such a peaceful nature and despise conflict).
Honestly, the idea that a segment of the essenes broke off from the main
group is very reasonable- yet, with that said, there is still no connection
between the site and the splinter group either.  But this does explain the
differences found in the Scrolls and Josephus' description of the Essenes.

>5) On ane I read that the Tel Dan inscription is a fake; T. Thompson wrote
>that you have said so. And N.P. Lemche wrote the news to BAR. When should
>the announcement come before the demonstration? And for those pesky people
>who will call for apology for slander--what does good methodology direct us
>to do?

Again, keep your eyes peeled for Fred's forthcoming book on the topic.
We'll  just have to wait for the demonstration- which, by the way, we are
still waiting for in connection with the Qumran = Essene hypothesis.

>Stephen Goranson
>goranson@duke.edu

Jim

Jim West, ThD