Re: orion synagogues

Perhaps we can all agree that much depends here on the definition(s) of
"synagogue."
I would ask whether those who argue in favour of considering Qumran as
possibly having a synagogue (room--not a separate building?) or study-house
would take that possibility, if accepted, as suggesting that writing and
copying of texts would be a likely activity at the same site?
Also, I, for one, would like to hear more from Steven Fine about the
relation of manuscripts and the proposed Masada synagogue. E.g., which
texts found at Masada, Steven, do you propose were used in the proposed
synagogue and when? And, if your forthcoming book addresses this, perhaps
you could mention that.
	I would add, as an aside, that several other publications relevant
to synagogue study are now in press. These include a collection of essays
with important observations, especially on diaspora synagogues, by Leonard
V. Rutgers (publisher: Peeters). And a collection of essays including
papers from the Second International Conference on Galilee in Antiquity
(Duke Judaic Studies series; Eisenbrauns).
best wishes,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu