Re: orion Hirschfeld implications

	Responding to Marcus Wood's invitation for comments on his
thoughtful remarks. Some of those remarks appear unobjectionable to me, but
others quite less certain.
	Apparently we agree that we will need clarification on the
dating(s) (one newspaper mentioned AD 70-100; one referred to pottery from
"one" dwelling--a small sample, it seems;  another has the time of Jesus).
I wrote that first century pottery is not rare, meaning, too elliptically,
that such is not necessarily a link to Essenes. If this site was only
inhabited within  first century CE, that seems short for what Pliny's text
has as an Essene community which has lasted a long time [saeculorum
milia...gens aeterna]. And it doesn't match the date of Pliny's source, who
died in 12 BCE. And the destruction of the site and the pottery factory
downhill--infra? :-)--are so far unexplained, the names Ein Gedi as spring,
town, fort, and toparchy not having been adequately addressed. And Dio (in
Synesius) wrote that the Essene settlement was an entire blessed [or
prosperous or happy] city--polin holin eudaimona--seemingly too big for the
new site. And does the new site have miqvaot? North-south aligned burials?
Pottery which is characteristic? Any text? Any central meeting place for
meals, for study, for group assemblies? Did Essenes make perfume, or
incense?
	The issue on infra is not which of several (not two) senses is most
numerous in all literature, or in all literature up till the source, but
should be narrowed to geographic literature and Pliny and Agrippa and to
this one context. Pliny was largely a compiler. It was not his usual
practice to systematically "update" his sources, but to gather and report
them. So the question is the geographic knowledge of his source, M.
Agrippa, second most powerful man in the Roman empire, a widely-travelled
geographer and mapmaker, a military man interested in forts, visitor to
Herod's forts, and interested in the destruction of Ein Gedi in c.40 BCE
which still obtained in 15 BCE.
best wishes,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu