orion a little more on red ink

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Stephen Goranson wrote:
   >> In addition to the Egyptian pallettes for red and black ink, double
inkwells have been found in Italy. In Pompeii wall paintings show double
inkwells, evidently for black and red ink. These paintings must be dated
before the volcano erruption of 79.<<
   I think he made some good points in his letter.  I'm forwarding it on
the Neil Altman, and have urged him to send me a reply so I can post it
quickly.  This particular observation raises one immediate question,  Dr.
Goranson.  When you say the Pompeii paintings show double inkwells.
"evidently for red and black ink," from what does that conclusion arise?  I
don't want to fire up the ink-in-the-inkwells debate again, but ...
  In an earlier post to which I never saw a reply, I asked why the DSS are
not being used as the basis for changes in Jewish Bibles while they are in
some Christian versions of the OT.  Now I understand there are footnotes
referring to DSS texts in at least one of the more liberal,
English-language Jewish Bibles, but not in more conservative or Orthodox
editions.  Why not?  And are revisions based on the scrolls making their
way into Hebrew Bibles used in Israel?  I realize this is a bit off-topic,
but it is relevant to the modern applications of the scrolls if not their
acceptability in circles that would seem closest to home.
  Happy New Year all,
  David Crowder
  El Paso