Re: orion scroll fakes

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Mr. Wood,

Too much fuss has been made over a rather insignificant
photo. You should see the magazine and photo in context
before commenting. As an electrical engineer and
scientist for forty years, I too am concerned with
correct data! I felt the original criticism was a shotgun
blast aimed at the magazine staff in a rather
unprofessional way. The illustration has no effect on the
teaching of Christian Gospel - the end purpose of the
magazine.

Who of us has not published in a journal and had a figure
or equation mis-set or augmented by an overzealous layout
artist? - some on this list have claimed that the BYT
YHWH frag in the latest issue of BAR was faked! I have
seen bogus photos on the cover of one major scientific
journal twice over the last 20 years... when brought to
task, they blame the poor art dept!

I am surprised at the sophomoric tenor of much of the
debate and taunts on this and other similar lists. I
think we all get too "enthusiastic" about our "scholarly"
interests and forget that they are just a wee part of the
mosaic of umwelt. To paraphrase Marlowe - is it worth
real-world hurt?

Regards,

Elmer Smalling

-------------------------------------
Name: Elmer E. Smalling III
Jenel Systems and Design International, Inc.
Plano, Texas USA
Phone/Fax 972-491-1442
minus 0700 GMT  CS/DT 07:47:19  12/02/97
HOME PAGE = http://www.connect.net/smalling

E-mail: smalling@connect.net   esmalling@acm.org
smalling@scientist.com
This message was sent by Chameleon