Re: orion Jars and 1a & 1b dates

According to Jim West, who gives all the background for his statement:
[...]
> Yes, Stephen, you did misread.

Comment by Sigrid Peterson:
Goranson's reading is possible, given his perspective on DSS studies. From
a less-involved perspective, the significance of the 9/8 bce gap in
habitation goes past me, and I read the "silly rumors" as a pejorative
comment from Fred Cryer that doesn't have an antecedent or an argument or
any one person as its target. And I don't know Professor Cryer's
intention.

There is a very fine distinction between attacking a person's arguments,
which Steve Goranson does, and ad hominem attacks, which are directed at
the person who makes the argument. The following comment by Fred Cryer is
an ad hominem remark, which goes to Goranson's conclusion.

> From: "fred cryer" <fc.dss@pop.teol.ku.dk>
> To: <orion@mscc.huji.ac.il>
> Subject: Re: orion scroll jars again
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:52:21 +0100

> Jodi remains a fine archaeologist, even if she tends, as I've said
> before, to be very definite on issues that do not look unequivocal to
> many observers.

> Fred Cryer

Jim West:
> Prof. Cryer is certainly not personally attacking Prof. Magness.  After all,
> it is you <<SG>> on this occasion, who makes a personal attack.

Steve Goranson postings have been directed at arguments. Sometimes it is
difficult, in reading SG, to distinguish between the argument he attacks
and the person who has made the argument on the orion list. So far, when
I've paid attention, it has been possible to make that distinction.

I question, however, whether I am trying to impose United States standards
for scholarly discourse upon the rest of the world. And I am not the
moderator, only another reader. Jim, I don't think it's our job to propose
that another list member be ejected from the list, only to point to the
standards of discourse that aren't being met. I do recognize that as part
of your intent as well as mine.

Sigrid Peterson   UPenn   petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu