Re: orion Bible quotes in the Temple scroll?

At 23:38 18.09.97 -0400, you wrote:

>>What about Michael Owen Wise: A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll. 1990?
>>In Appendix part 2 "The Hebrew Bible in the Temple Scroll" (p. 235-242) he
>>gives an analysis of which portions of the Hebrew Bible appear in the TS,
>>and of how the scroll has used them. Look for the [q] to see, where he
>>thinks it is a quote.
>>

>>Privatdozent Dr. Aaron Schart
>
>I'm puzzled by the last phrase ...."where *he thinks* it is a quote."  What
>does *he thinks* mean?  How can Michael Wise have sufficient expertise to
>publish on DSS, if he doesn't *know* enough to tell his readers whether a
>sentence or passage in the TS  is or is not a quote?   Doesn't he know how
>to use a Hebrew bible concordance?  It should be a simple matter to
>establish whether a DSS passage is or is not a direct quote (or close
>paraphrase) of biblical material!
>It doesn't say much for Wise's work if he cannot even do this.  Is it
>possible that Dr. Schart meant to say that Wise uses [q] to indicate where
>something is a definite quote?   Some clarification is needed here.
>
>jrw@brown.edu

After all the discussion on this list about preconceptions, difficulties of
defining concepts and the importance of presuppositions for building a
hypothesis it should not be difficult to imagine, why I added the phrase
"he thinks". And your short note in parenthesis _(or close paraphrase)_
already points out one (and only one!) important issue at stake here: What
is a quote, what a citation, what a close paraphrase, what an allusion?
Wise has written on that (p. 207-209). He does not differentiate between
quotation and citation. In fact, "citation" is a category he did not use. I
for one would like to make a difference and only refer to those cases as a
quote where a quotation formula is used. This is not the definition Wise
uses! As a result, whenever you want to merge the list of somebody else
into your own list of quotations, citations, and so on (a job Dave
Washburn, who raised the question originally, obviously wanted to do), you
have to carefully consider, how the author of this list uses his/her
categories.

Privatdozent Dr. Aaron Schart
Philipps-University Marburg
Theology - Old Testament