Re: Calendar, MMT

>MMT has "we", "you", and "they".  Schiffman (for one) argues in my opinion
>quite
>properly that the "we" group is the council.  It seems certain that "we"
>cannot refer
>to the Moreh Tzedek.  So logically MMT must either predate or postdate the
>Moreh
>Tzedek.  Schiffman sees MMT as the earliest sectarian scroll, before the rise
>of the
>Moreh Tzedek, but if the sectarians already had such a developed halakhah,
>what
>did they need the Teacher for?

I think the reason for considering this the 'earliest' is that it appears the
author(s) were those who seperated themselves, and since CD says the Moreh
Tzedik comes 20 years later it would appear that MMT predates CD.

As to the halachic question, it would appear from MMT that these halachos were
the reasons for the seperation. It seems MMT shows that the concept of
'halacha' is quite old (even if the term for it is late.)

--