Re: document uniformity

Dear Fred,
The question is, how were the prohibited practices understood at Qumran,
or by whoever wrote the "divinatory" texts you refer to? I need not
remind you that in the Middle Ages mainstream Bible commentaries seem
to condone astrology. Just as modern scholars (yourself included) don't
have a firm understanding of nahash, `onen, and qosem, what their
etymology, primary meaning, and usage are, it is doubtful whether anyone
in the post-biblical period knew precisely what they were. This lack of
knowledge would permit great  freeedom and flexibility in what is
prohibited and what is permitted. SO until we have a halakhic pesher on
the texts from Deuteronomy in question, we must not assume that the
prohibitions were understood to pertain to the practices attested by
the documents.
Avigdor