Re: "para-biblical literature"

Dear Ian,
Haran's book is in hebrew. His Hebrew is beautifl as it always is, but
this particular volume is extremely difficult reading. He deals with
complicated subjects such as the canonicity of Ben Sira, hand defilement,
the process of canonization, Genizah, etc. and his arguments include
subtle and minute analyses of Mishnah, Tosephta, and Talmud passages.
The volume will be the first in a trilogy.  Unfortunately, very little of
this volume has been published by the author reviously in English or
hebrew (cf. the bibliography in his Festschrift).  I assume he will
eventually have it translated to English, but first he will certainly
comlete the work in Hebrew.  I think (but am not sure) that one of the
two projected volumes will contain much of his work on the physical
character of the pre-medieval Hebrew book and scroll, much of which is
available already in both Hebrew and English.
People who know Haran's previous work on cult and P will be very
surprised to read a volume such as "The Biblical Canon".  It's the
product of years of work and great erudition which, as Haran might put it
stayed underground (like P) until its publication and promulgation.
Avigdor