inkwells, etc.

I agree with you completely on the uncertainties, David. But, if we
could be allowed to scrape a bit of carbon out of one of the famous
inkwells and test it, it might turn out to be from ca. 60-90ce or so.
There are no names mentioned in the scrolls and no dated documents
from the 1st century ce, and the AMS all pretty much points in that
direction, too. So, a late date on the inkwell carbon *might* just be
able to provide an important *disconfirmation* of any connexion
between the inkwells and the scrolls; and disconfirmations are
useful, too.
Fred Cryer
Assoc. Prof./Research
Univ. of Copenhagen